Friday, January 28, 2011

From Amsterdam to Accra...

The Amsterdam Airport is lovely. With cozy chairs, live piano, and a cool water massage table... Aimee and I were amused as we wandered around for an hour or two before our connecting flight to Accra.

Our flight from Amsterdam to Accra was not without surprises. What good luck that the middle seat was empty, that the plane wasn't freezing and that my legs were no longer feeling restless.
I was asleep before takeoff as it was about 8am EST and I didn't sleep very well the first time around. What woke me up?

The Pyrenees.

Between France and Spain - these mountains are a breath-taking aerial view. However, my view was slightly interrupted by SEVERE turbulence.

Not joking when I say severe.
The plane was shaking, we were taking a few nose dives as we hit air pockets and it really just felt like a roller coaster.

With my stomach in my throat, I tried to avoid the panicked expression that matched my anxiety level. I don't think I was successful as I tightened my seat belt and prepared to be tossed around a little. The woman in the row over was nearly hysterical.

But we pulled through. No harm, no foul. Just the mountains, the pilot explained later over the PA. The plane is built for this- yes it can be frightening, but nothing to worry about.

Mountains. They shake you up. It's their nature to push you to your limit.

As we flew directly due south from the Netherlands, we got to see the most incredible views of the Sahara desert - just hundreds of kilometres of sand dunes shaped by the wind. Truly stunning.

And as we rolled slowly into Ghanaian airspace, the sun. It looked like we were chasing the most beautiful red glow of a new home.


Fire. Warmth. Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment