Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finally, the day has arrived.

And I am embarking on a new adventure.

Right now I am alone in the airport... well, ok. Not technically alone, (which would probably be problematic and a massive security breach!) But feels this way because I have checked into my flight about 4 hours early.

That's what happens when you Dad decides to take up piano lessons and has a regularly scheduled Thursday appointment. And if you know about the public transit options to  YYZ - you don't complain.

But, anyways. I am through security and enjoying free wifi compliments of Pearson.

 Check out the complete lack of people behind me in the airport. Hahaha. Ok, one guy, maybe?

Today was a mishmash of a day. Chatted with the incredible Sarah Young, one of my heroes, who of course brought on the first sad pre-trip tears. The rest have been out of frustration for TD Bank, etc. But I won't get into that... it's just the kind of thing you don't need right before you leave the country for 5 months.

On top of that, I spent the day with my Mom and my Dad. Incredibly supportive and helpful in the home stretch.

I think I have everything. And if I don't, I am confident I can live without it.

Don't fret - we made a last minute trip to the grocery store for ziploc bags, oreo cookies, and a bottle of maple syrup for my new Ghanaian family.

I hope to make them pancakes soon. It's a big bottle.

On top of just packing stuff, my lovely friend Jon just back from Costa Rica (and tanned!) posted something really interesting on his Facebook. I thought I would share.

The website is If It Were My Home and it compares common markers of quality of life between countries. And asks the question... what would your life be like if you were born in another corner of the world?

I learned...

If Ghana were my home instead of Canada, I would...


So on this flight, instead of just turning on the latest rom-com and enjoying complimentary KLM drinks... I will be thinking about these numbers. What they mean. The privilege that comes tied to them. And just how fortunate and blessed I am.

Wish me a safe flight - next update from Accra!

Lots of love,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. You are too kind! I loved talking to you. It made me so happy to hear your voice. I know you are flying safe. Soooo much love

    ReplyDelete