Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy Holidays!

Now that Christmas 2010 is officially behind me, I am full out into preparation mode for Ghana.

This morning I spent about half an hour in line for a Criminal Records Check in Brampton and just last week doctors appointments ensuring I am fit to travel, armed with malaria prevention, and that all of my vaccinations are up to date.

Now, I am on to the list phase. I am sorting all of the things I brought home from my last journey and re-purposing them for this adventure.

Lots of the stuff doesn't quite translate as I imagine I won't need hiking poles (oh how I love them!!!) or a balaclava ... but I'm sure most of the typical travel gear is required.

What exactly does someone put into ONE BAG for 5 months?

Probably not as much as you think.

Things like clothes are going to be more temperature and culturally appropriate if I get them in Ghana - think buying clothes for 34 degrees C in January in Toronto - not all that helpful!

But, from experience, good hair products are important. African women have a whole other level of hair care that I am only beginning to unravel. Yes, I am sure this may be the trip that I actually get a whole head of braids.

Armed with a packing list of about 75 things, I start to narrow it down. What is needed? What is a luxury? What can I just do without for the sake of cultural immersion?

One could say I am making a list and checking it twice.

Of course, with the holiday season my family continues to be extremely generous. I am fortunate beyond belief and I smile when I think of how much they must love me.

And I chuckle to myself when my mom says she is looking at the world map today to find out 'where in this world I am going.' That's love.

With three weeks until departure, I cannot wait to head off on this adventure.

Wish me luck. And that I don't forget anything too important.

No comments:

Post a Comment