Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just one month...

Today officially marks one month remaining in Ghana.

And I thought I would celebrate with a "TOP 10" list of things I've grown to love in Ghana with hopes it will remind me to value this month as much as the first four, and to continue to dream big.

10. Goats on the side of the road.

Animals of all kinds graze anywhere they like.

9. Men in suits. Women in head wraps.

Seems like everyone is in their Sunday best... and I can barely manage to keep clean. Not fair.

8. Hankies. (sweat rags.)

Wiping sweat of your brow in public is not only necessary, but common.

7. Lightning storms.

Now that rainy season has begun, it is quite normal to wake up to the most magnificent lightning show. The sky lights up and thunder shakes my house. It's pretty incredible.

6. The Atlantic Ocean.

My previous experience includes a couple of trips to Myrtle Beach as a kid and hiding from jellyfish aka Méduse on Canada's East Coast. PS: The Gulf of Guinea is stunning and if you find a stretch that isn't a public dumping ground... relax and enjoy.

5. Electricity.

If you have it continuously for a week - you have hit the jackpot. Luckily, I live in region not-too-affected by blackouts. However, if the lights go out and you have things to do - tough luck.

4. Being called 'Obroni'.

In East Africa it was Mzungu, or Sister (if I was lucky), but in Ghana - I am an Obroni. And everyone enjoys reminding me everyday at all times. Regardless, it lets me make faces at kids and laugh... everyone thinks I am crazy anyways.

3. Pineapple. Mango. Coconut. Avocado. Pawpaw (papaya). Green Oranges, etc.

Fresh fruit is better than I've ever had. And it is not uncommon to eat an entire pineapple for breakfast. I don't know how I will afford this addiction when I get home.

2. Red dirt.

It sticks to everything.

1. Ghana's highlife/hiplife music scene.

Checking out weekly concerts at Alliance Francais, Reggae Nights around town, dancing down the street, and singing along to the all of 15 words to a song I know... it's amazing. At first, I was annoyed by Ghana's repetition of the same 5 songs over and over again.... now I know why.

They are the best.

AWAY!

1 comment: